Monday, August 5, 2024

Ketchikan Alaska First Port.

 Our first port is Ketchikan, Alaska. Known as one of the wettest and rainiest cities, we lucked out with no rain this time. Since this is our third visit, we didn’t plan any excursions. On previous cruises, we’ve explored Misty Fjords and tried ziplining.

First thing off the ship, we headed to the Tongass Trading Post to grab some waterproof pants for our Zodiac tour in the Inian Islands, as the forecast looked rainy. The ship's store was sold out, so we went there to be safe. Investing in these pants seemed smart, though I’m sure I’ll forget where I put them when I need them again!

Next, we strolled over to Creek Street, which we’ve seen before. Not much has changed, but the cute stores and history are always a draw. 




We walked up the Salmon Run, though we only spotted a couple of salmon since it’s not the peak season. But we did see a bald eagle perched in a tree and snapped some photos. There are plenty of signs to guide you.



Then we visited the Tongass Historical Museum near the entrance of Cave Street. It’s different from the Tongass Heritage Center up the road. After soaking up Ketchikan's history, we headed back to town to browse and find lunch.



I asked a local kid where to eat, and he recommended “The Fish House” by the Lumberjack Show, which I almost did since it sounds fun—maybe next time. We had lunch by the water: clam chowder for me and fish and chips for my husband. It was a chill day, and now we're back on the ship for relaxation and evening dinner and show. 



Edit: I say 600- 800 people but really it's more like 500 passengers. Maybe 600-800 if you count crew. 



No comments:

Post a Comment